Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pony Poop

We're having a pony party for my daughter's 4th birthday. I elected to do it at a ranch nearby instead of at our house. Not because of the poop, mind you (we've got plenty of that here) but because we want to avoid California's ridiculous liability laws. It's not that I think anyone will get hurt, it's just that I know horses can be unpredictable and even the most bomb-proof pony is capable of utter stupidity under the right circumstances. Plus, we're inviting some of my daughter's school friends, and I don't know their parents.

At least one of our invitees, my neighbor's niece, is pony-crazy. She wants a pony of her own and I'm sure her mother isn't going to thank me for feeding her obsession.

Pony parties always involve grooming, tacking up and learning proper pony safety. All good things. But maybe they should also involve some poop-scooping. After all, pony crazy kids need a healthy dose of reality. Maybe a horse crazy kid will come home a little less desperate for her own pony when she realizes just how much work all that grooming, tacking-up, and yes, PONY POOP is.

Of course that's a short lived thought, especially when I consider what those kids will say to their moms when they come home: "Mom, we had a great time except that they made us play with the poop! EW!!"

--Becki Bell
For more poopy ideas and horse manure trivia, buy The Little Book of Horse Poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment